Anansi publishes literary fiction, poetry, nonfiction, graphic novels, and crime fiction from Canada and around the world. We publish approximately fifty new books a year, four of which are poetry. We have a roster of talented authors who have previously published with us and continue to produce award-winning progressive new works.
Anansi publishes literary fiction that has a unique flair, memorable characters, and a strong narrative voice. Anansi fiction writers have read widely, studied their craft, and often have previously published in reputable literary journals and/or magazines.
Anansi is accepting submissions for Spiderline, our crime fiction imprint. The imprint is dedicated to publishing plot-driven mystery, crime fiction, and psychological thrillers with strong characterizations and vivid atmospheric detail. Established Spiderline series include the Ava Lee novels by Ian Hamilton and the Marko della Torre novels by Alen Mattich.
Anansi’s nonfiction titles are meticulously researched to support a strong thesis. They avoid dry, jargon-filled academic prose and have a literary twist that will interest general readers and experts alike.
Anansi publishes poets who have already established a strong reputation. Anansi poets usually have had poems previously published in book form or in reputable literary journals and/or magazines.
Please note, Anansi only accepts submissions through Submittable, an electronic submissions system. We are no longer accepting paper submissions.
- Consider if your submission is compatible with Anansi’s publishing program. Take the time to look at the titles on our web site.
- Using Submittable, please send us: 1) a cover letter telling us about yourself and your book; 2) a CV indicating your publishing history (if applicable); 3) a brief synopsis of your project; and 4) your full or partial manuscript. Anansi ONLY accepts .docx (Word 2007 or newer), .doc, and .pdf file formats.
- Be patient. Anansi receives hundreds of submissions a month and it takes time for them to be read and evaluated. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your submission, and we aim to respond to all submissions within six months.
- Submit religious tracts.
- Send us a submission if you are not a Canadian citizen or resident. Anansi does not accept unsolicited materials from non-Canadian writers.
- Send us your submission as an .pages (Apple Pages) file, an OpenDocument File from OpenOffice and LibreOffice file, or a .zip file.
- Contact us regarding the status of your submission. We keep track of all submissions received.
- Expect feedback. Anansi does not offer editorial comment on manuscripts unless we feel the work has potential for our list.