House of Anansi Press and Groundwood Books is one of the largest independent publishing companies in Canada, with a reputation that extends internationally. We have a very active Subsidiary Rights department, and we are looking for a Rights Manager to plan and carry out rights and licensing activities that maintain, develop, and increase the rights sales and revenues of Anansi and Groundwood and our creators.
The successful candidate will report directly to our Vice President of Sales and Licensing.
- You love to talk about books, especially with editors, publishers, and other arts industry stakeholders from around the world.
- Tenacity is key. You are a self-starter with a can-do attitude, and you will look for every opportunity to place our books in as many hands as possible.
- You are a good team player who can manage expectations while delivering results.
- You have 3–4 years’ experience in a sales, marketing, publicity, or account management role.
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and organized, with excellent negotiating skills.
- You look for opportunities to participate in the publishing community both here in Canada and internationally.
- You are excited to travel; passport required.
- Knowledge of other languages is an asset, though not required.
- Drive subsidiary rights sales to meet or exceed sales targets as set in collaboration with the company’s management team. Subsidiary rights include, but are not limited to: international publishing rights, both co-editions and licensing; permissions; audio; and electronic rights.
- In collaboration with the Rights Assistant, manage all facets of working with clients, including planning and implementation of submission strategies, market development, marketing, and negotiating contracts.
- Oversee all aspects of the international fairs and sales meetings, from planning to follow-up.
- Build and maintain a strong international client base, including scouts and co-agents.
- Responsible for contract negotiations for licensing, co-editions, permissions, and any other subsidiary rights.
- With the Rights Assistant, manage invoicing and accounts, and ensure maintenance of departmental records and systems, including all grant submissions.
House of Anansi is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a fabulous office in the west end of Toronto, a great work environment, a competitive salary, and good benefits.
Candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, and salary expectations by February 14, 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Please include name and position applied for in the subject line. We would like to thank all those who apply, but only those under consideration will be contacted.